Part I: NST Test
Baby B was asleep. Kim drank apple juice. Baby B still did not respond. Baby B got the taser. Baby B responded. Kim was hooked up to the monitors for over an hour. Kim's back hurt. Baby B's heart rate accelerations were finally deemed appropriate and Kim was released from the chair.
Part II: BPP
Fetal breathing/movement was fine. Fluids were measuring 27cm - up 7cm from Monday - and Kim was feeling especially large. Now we know why.
Part III: Meeting with Dick
Kim tells Dick that she is becoming increasing frustrated with the alleged mixed messages that appear to be going on between both offices. Dick assures Kim that her child is, in fact, very large, but no, there is no way to predict when the baby is coming. Kim expresses her concerns that a natural birth may not be possible as the baby continues to grow and does not feel comfortable trying to birth a 9+ pound child. Kim states that she feels George does not listen to her when she tells him about the baby's size. Dick offers another growth ultrasound, but later finds out it is denied by insurance (only one per every four weeks). Kim starts to cry. Dick turns into 'every-man' and begins offering Kim praise for her ability to grow a large, healthy baby. Kim is not soothed. Dick looks increasingly uncomfortable and scared as Kim continues to cry. Dick tells Kim that she can have a c-section at 39 weeks if she would like. Kim begins to feel that what she wants - natural birth, small(er) baby - is no longer a possibility. Kim cries more, though she is unable to express why. Fearful, Dick exits quietly.
Part IV: Meeting with the nurse
A nice nurse comes in to talk Kim off the ledge. Turns out there are several options:
1.) wait and go into labor naturally - whether that is tonight or September 16th.
2.) between 37 and 39 weeks, Kim can request an amnio to check for lung functioning. If the test comes back positive, she can schedule an induction at any time afterwards (usually within 24 hours).
3.) at 39 weeks, Kim can schedule a c-section (or induction) at her convenience without having to do an amnio.
Kim felt better knowing she had options. Kim stopped crying and finally exited the building.
**end of story**
So, as I've said before, we will likely go with #3 (unless #1 happens before 39 weeks). I do'nt want this child now - I want him to come when he's ready - and I just want both doctors to stop saying different things. I already feel better now that I've wrapped 39-40 weeks around my head, instead of having to go through this touch-and-go "anytime" mentality.
On a unrelated note, the nice nurse also provided me with a copy of my last growth ultrasound that CLEARLY states my child is in the ">95%" of estimated fetal size. I really, really appreciate her doing this for me, since seeing it in black and white makes me feel like I am not losing my mind. I mean, I argued with George for the first 15 minutes of our 20 minute appointment with him about this. I'm very happy to have it in print. I don't know what the heck he was reading (or wasn't reading...).
But as I read the report (which made me long for my days as a psych report writer for Juvenile Justice - I did love report writing), there was a section listed as "General." Oh, no, I thought. They are going to mention my affect (i.e manner of presenation). But it wasn't a psych report (which would say something like "appropriate," "flat," "or "incongruent"), it was a medical report. So it said, "Well-nourished female in no acute distress." Well-nourished female?! Is that their way of saying "fluffy?" I actually started to laugh at the check-out desk as I read this. My doctor was still lingering in the back, and I think he heard me. Dick probably thinks I've completely cracked up at this point.